A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, January 17, 2013

@JuliusC: #Gallia est omnis #divisa in #partes tres: Pope to Tweet in Latin

This has no direct Mideast connection but since various posts on hieroglyphics, Coptic, Aramaic and other ancient tongues make me suspect I have some readers with an interest in antiquity, who might want to polish up their rusty Latin, I'll just note that Pope Benedict XVI, who's up to now been tweeting in eight languages, is going to start tweeting in Latin. His Latin tweets will be found at Pontifex_ln.



5 comments:

The Consulate of Phoenicia said...

Aut insanit homo, aut versus facit.
-Horace

A splendid post, thank you. :)

David Mack said...

Could the opening lines of Caesar's Wars changed? Or is my memory at fault? Admittedly, I've not studied it since 1955, but I thought it was "Omnia Gallia tres partes divisum est."

Michael Collins Dunn said...

It's frequently quoted that way. But this is JC's original phrasing.

Elise said...

Yes, but David Mack's version has a better ring to it.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

True, and I suspect it originated in Latin textbooks because the word order makes more sense to an English (or modern Romance language for that matter) reader.