A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

This Looks Like a Promising Read from Donald Reid

Donald M. Reid, Professor of History Emeritus at Georgia State University, is an old Egypt hand, and a distinguished historian of Modern Egypt. Among his previous works is
"Whose Pharaohs?: Archæology, Museums, and Egyptian National Identity from Napoleon to World War I," dealing with the interplay between archaeology and national identity from the Rosetta Stone to World War I.

Now I've learned that the sequel is due out later this year: "Contesting Antiquity in Egypt: Archaeologies, Museums, and the Struggle for Identities from World War I to Nasser," pursuing the theme from the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb to the Nasser era. It should be fascinating.

Professor Reid mentioned in a recent e-mail that he sometimes reads my blog, so if you see this, Don, know that I'm looking forward to reading it, and am accordingly plugging it here.

No comments: