A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Odd Disconnect Between Headline and Photo?

As an editor, I only have to choose four photos a year these days: one for each cover of The Middle East Journal, but having worked in more frequent publications in the past, I'm aware of the danger of having a disconnect between your headline and your photo chosen to illustrate your story. This screen capture from this Ha'aretz story (I'm using a screen cap in case they change the photo or headline) exemplifies the problem:


And then they had a good laugh about it. I know that online reportage requires a lot of quick decisions, but given Ha'aretz' overall political allegiances, I don't think this was intentional.

No comments: