A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Graphic Novel on Operation Ajax

Having learned to read from comic books, my first grade readers being far more boring and simplistic, and having been introduced to great literature by the Classics Illustrated comics of the 1950s, I have no intellectual disdain for what today are called "graphic novels," though I don't tend to read them. So I thought I'd call your attention to this item about a graphic novel series focusing on Operation Ajax, the CIA/British orchestrated coup against Mossadegh in Iran in 1953. The author is making the first episodes free on the ITunes store for IPad users. Here's the trailer:



The link and the trailer are all I know right now.

As an aside since somebody may bring it up anyway, Kermit ("Kim") Roosevelt, who helped orchestrate the coup and wrote a memoir about it, served as President of the Middle East Institute for a short while may years later.

No comments: