A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, September 13, 2010

Egyptian Papyrus found in Irish Bog

Longtime readers may recall my post of Saint Patrick's Day 2009 on the "Irish-Egyptian connection," the faint traces of early links between Coptic and Irish Christianity. Well, the traces may not be so faint any longer: a psalter dug up in an Irish bog, though written on vellum, has an Egyptian leather cover with a papyrus lining. It dates from the eighth century.

I won't say "I told you so." Oh, wait, I guess I just did.

[Correction: for most of the day this said "dug up in an Irish blog." Freudian slip: an Irish bog.]

1 comment:

Abu 'Arqala said...

They say, and who am I to contradict them, that Newgrange was the prototype for Giza.

Perhaps, the Celts not only saved civilization but also invented it.

Highland Celts, perhaps?