A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, December 6, 2010

I Wish I'd Said That

Earlier today I posted about round two of the Egyptian elections which, like round one, barred foreign election observers, and about the recent Egyptian shark attacks. (Well, shark attacks in Egypt; I don't know the nationality of the shark.)

I wasn't clever enough to draw any parallels, but an Egyptian on Twitter was:
I wish I'd said that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was totally a Jewish shark. I also heard, through from a source that can't be named, that everyone is planning a new war over the matter.

Apparently (the shark) was circumcised in a way that only Egyptian authorities know; The Jewish Way.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

Anonymous (if that IS your real name):

I've always said I only delete comments that have nothing to do with the post, so I'll leave yours up, but I find it offensive -- oddly enough, to both Jews AND Egyptians -- and felt I should distance myself from it.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

Okay, Anonymous: I hadn't seen it at the time but apparently the governor of southern Sinai did try to blame the shark on Mossad. Maybe your snark had a basis:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11937285