A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Moneltahawy on This Week's Horror: Two Interviews

After getting in three posts on Thursday that weren't about Egypt, the week's horrific events bring it back, and though I plan to leave you for the weekend with a suitable Christmas post, I have to go back to "the photo" or "the blue bra woman" or whatever you're calling it, but what Hillary Clinton called "systematic sexual degradation of women."

During the violence in November on Mohammed Mahmoud Street, where I used to live back in Sadat's day, the well-known journalist Mona Eltahawy was arrested, beaten, sexually abused,  one arm and the other hand broken, and she promised, in a tweet I printed then and will print again (strong language warning again): 





Her broken arm and hand have apparently limited her ability to deliver the blast in print that I suspect is coming,  but the whole beating/dragging/stripping of the woman in an abaya, sadly now known mostly for the blue bra she never expected the world to see, Mona Eltahawy had offered these thoughts to Wolf Blitzer at CNN and to the BBC. Both are worth watching. I still want to see her written version when she's able. If anybody can stare down SCAF, it's this tough and proud woman. As I said the last time, "I, for one, am looking forward to it. I think they finally [messed] with the wrong Egyptian woman."




No comments: