A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Friday, September 5, 2014

Memo to the International Society for Iranian Studies

Tonight on Facebook I was momentarily taken aback by a post of "photos of the 2014 ISIS Conference." Had I accepted the wrong friend request? Was the FBI going to be knocking at my door? Should I watch out for drones?

It turns out they were photos of last month's meeting of the International Society for Iranian Studies.

I'm not a member, but a suggestion: You know, you might think about becoming, I don't know, the International Iranian Studies Society instead? (There might be confusion with the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, but you could live with that.) Or really, really working to get us to say "IS" instead of "ISIS"?

2 comments:

Brian Ulrich said...

I'm wondering about conference signs in the hotel.

Brian Ulrich said...

There is also this crowd: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/isis/