A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Zahi Hawass Nears All Hawass, All the Time Coverage

It was probably inevitable, since already it was virtually impossible to watch any TV show about Egypt without Zahi Hawass, complete with Indiana Jones hat (excuse me, who's that?: it's the "Dr Zahi Hawass hat" and you can order one here) appearing in the first 40 seconds and dominating the rest of the program. Well, it was probably inevitable: he has his own show now, Chasing Mummies, debuting on The History Channel on Bastille Day. This could lead to an inflated ego if it had not already exceeded all standards of measurement. When even the President of the US poses in your hat (picure), who can avoid a swelled head?

Now I've discussed Hawass before; he's certainly helped increase interest in Egyptology with a true showman's flair, an overwhelming TV presence, a website about his achievements, and an ability to overshadow every archaeologist working in the country: whoever found the site, rest assured Hawass will be the one who appears on camera.

But his own TV show? Isn't this man a government employee? As I noted a while back, when my daughter learned I'd crossed paths with Hawass decades ago, she was more impressed than by any of the senior officials I might have met. So he does bring in the tourist dollars, I'm sure.

The ego gets in the way sometimes, but he does carry self-promotion to new heights. On the other hand, does no one else see the irony in this graphic?:
That almost intrudes on Husni Mubarak's turf.

Oh, yes, I can't find an embeddable version, but in an ad on the History Channel he is shown promoting the show by saying, "Show me the Mummy."

No comments: