A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Friday, May 22, 2009

Biden in Beirut Today

US Vice President Joe Biden is spending a few hours in Beirut today. Apparently the idea is to support the March 14 movement and other pro-Western forces in the runup to the elections.

Oh my. I voted for Obama-Biden, but I recognize that Joe has that Vice Presidential syndrome that Spiro Agnew pioneered and Dan Quayle made famous, of sometimes saying unfortunate things that don't come out quite right. I hope it goes well. By this afternoon I'll be on the road for the Memorial Day holiday, so I may not be able to comment directly. Personally, I think the best way to help March 14 is to show no favoritism at all: the opposition is determined to portray them as tools of the US, Israel, and the reactionary Arab regimes (everyone except Syria, basically, and its non-Arab ally Iran). Good luck, Mr. Vice President. Let's let the Lebanese vote, and not try to endorse, since it could very well backfire.

No comments: