A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, September 12, 2011

Egypt Visa Decision "Frozen"

This is just to get the day and the week's posts started.  Rest assured I'm preparing a major, and I hope thoughtful, comment and links post on the assault on the Israeli Embassy in Cairo Friday night/Saturday morning. But till that goes up, I though I'd note that, while I'm sure my own derisive comments about Egypt's self-defeating new visa regulations had nothing to do with it,  enough other people recognized the shoot-self-in-foot element that the Egyptian Cabinet has "frozen" the decision to stop issuing visas to tourists from the US and Europe etc. at the airport.

I assume "frozen" in this case means "made to disappear down the memory hole."

Again, I'll be back soon with reflections on the weekend's insanity.

No comments: