A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Friday, August 9, 2013

This Friday's Nostalgia Photo Post is a Contest; Answer Later Today

Now that I've returned from vacation I'm resuming my occasional Friday nostalgia post featuring old photos or videos. But let's try a contest for a change; I'll post the solution later today. Where is this photo? (A few hints below.)
Three clues: The photo is presumably early 20th century based on when it first appears in print. The boats provide a second clue, of course. The third clue, which you have probably guessed already: it doesn't look like this any more. (Using image search software isn't really playing fair.)

Add your solutions in the comments. Sorry, there's nothing in the budget for prizes, but I'll acknowledge you. I'll post results at around 5 pm Washington time today.