A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Egypt's Military Sector of the Economy: A Dissenting View

I must confess that I myself, in this blog and in interviews, have contributed to the widespread view that Egypt's military controls its own huge chunk of the manufacturing sector of the economy, with estimates that this could amount to a third of the entire economy. I also must confess that much of my experience in the matter dates from the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Jonathan Wright offers a strong dissent to this received wisdom. I can't say for certain that he's right, but I can say that his information is much more current than mine, or many of the other Egypt hands who've been pontificating. I'll defer to him unless other information is forthcoming.

2 comments:

Rashad said...

I'm inclined to side with Wright. Especially when you consider how much of the Egyptian economy is in the informal sector.

David Mack said...

Join the audience at 12:00 today at Middle East Institute. Two experts on the Egyptian military (former lobbyist for Egypt has Washington perspective and former U.S. Defense Attache has the perspective from Cairo). See mei.edu website for details.