A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

New Blog by Al-Farabi and Others

You may recall "Al-Farabi," an American blogger operating from Damascus who started a short-lived blog called Dispatch from Damascus a while back. Well, he and several other bloggers are now in a group blog called Blogging the Casbah, and he's asked if I'd call your attention to both the new blog and the post "Asad's Secret Speech." Mission accomplished. I will delete "Dispatch from Damascus" from the blogroll, and add "Blogging the Casbah." According to their profiles, the bloggers are Al-Farabi (whom I met recently but whose identity, of course, I will not divulge), Al-Salibi (described as an Editor based in Bethlehem; "Salibi," if not a proper name, means "Crusader"); "Abu Guerilla," an "intellectual insurgent for peace," based in California; "Wastafarian," a media type based in the US (the name is a complex pun, I presume, from Arabic wasta (influence, clout) and Rastafarian); and "The Rooster," who appears to be both a political scientist and a natural scientist based in San Diego.

They mostly seem to be in their twenties. It could be a blog worth watching.

3 comments:

Jesse Aizenstat said...

Yeah, it could be.... Ha, Thank you for the plug.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

And good luck to you. I'm still new enough at this that I want to encourage new Mideast blogs. And Al-Farabi and I have had some good interchanges.

Jesse Aizenstat said...

Sure. Blogging in my experience is not a money making adventure; rather a literal orgy of information and a great way to stay plugged into the matrix of all things Middle East.

We do a lot of serious stuff on the Casbah. But we also do this:

http://bloggingthecasbah.blogspot.com/2009/07/surfin-with-nasrallah.html

I'm working on the book.

Thanks again.