A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, November 16, 2009

Hint, Hint: Weblog Awards

I'm a brand new blog at it would be really incredible if I even got seriously considered in the "Best Middle East and African Blog" category at the 2009 Weblog Awards, but most of the first 19 nominees are specifically Israeli-oriented blogs (one-sided: some of which I read so I'm not opposing them because of their orientation, but a more generalist blog would be a good candidate), I'm just noting where somebody might want to go to nominate. Of course I expect one of the big guys to get it, but hey, I can dream.

Last year I believe this became an OK Corral Shootout between Juan Cole on the left and Michael Totten on the right, and it may be again. (Totten won, I think.) I figure I, and MEI generally with its "we don't take sides: we provide a forum" approach, are pretty middle of the road. Texas maverick politician Jim Hightower once wrote s book entitled "There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos," but I still tend to think I blog pretty much down the middle. If that makes me a dead armadillo, so be it. I won't, however, nominate myself, though apparently that's allowed.

Just noting the opportunity if anybody wants to.

No comments: